[support] Image questions

Metzler, David metzlerd at evergreen.edu
Mon Aug 20 16:07:46 UTC 2007

Unfortunatly this is a complex topic.  Here's a basic summary of my
knowledge, but hey there might be other takes on this.

Random Images: Best done with a view that returns one node in random
sort order.  It can be based on any node type, but means you got to make
"nodes" out of your images. I'm working on modules (really slowly) to
facilitate Jquery enabling this approach.

Image uploading: If your needs are simple, image and image_assist will
take care of most of your needs.  There's a tinymce plugin from
image_assist that facilitates making nodes out of images on the fly. IF
you want more control about where your images are placed and how they
are sized than the image module can give you.  Pick up image_cache and
image_field and make images into fields in custom defined content types
with CCK.

There are other tweaked image processing modules out there, but these
are the two approaches I hear most used.

Dave