[support] Problems installing drupal

sander-martijn sander at sander-martijn.com
Wed Aug 22 14:31:29 UTC 2007

lunarpages starts at $6.95/mo. and I have been developing a site on
there for a couple weeks without a problem... they're feature set is
great - up to 10 domains, unlimited subdomains, databases, 350GB
storage, 3500GB bandwidth etc. for 6.95.  I've been hosting with them
for about 6 months and have had no problems whatsoever.

However - I would warn you about drupal on a free/cheap shared host if
it's going to get any large amount of traffic.  There has been a lot of
talk on the forums about people getting shut down because drupal used to
much processing power, the most famous being
http://drupal.org/node/137898 (well i don't know how famous it is, but
it comes up on the first page of almost everything I search for no
matter how unrelated my search is).  To be safe I called lunarpages
yesterday and asked them about their policy - as others have said their
hosting providers did, lunarpages would shut my sites (all of them, not
just the one causing trouble) without notice if my sites go above 1% of
the processing power of the machine.  1%.  not much.  I don't think I'll
run into a problem because I'm only developing on that server.  I still
ended up in a screaming match with him - my contention being that
whether it's a policy or not it's an unfair one if I am not provided
with a tool to monitor my usage or given warning.  Like not putting
speedometers in cars but still issuing tickets if you speed.  He
basically said tough luck, it's the way we and everyone else does it in
the industry and it's not going to change.

.s