[support] develop to test to production server question

Earnie Boyd earnie at users.sourceforge.net
Thu Aug 23 13:12:24 UTC 2007

Quoting sander-martijn <sander at sander-martijn.com>:

> Anyone know of a place that lists out which files and database tables
> need to be changed when migrating drupal from one server to another?  If
> not could someone take the time to list them out for me?  It would save
> a lot of headaches.

Install http://drupal.org/project/dba it will provide you with methods
to backup via cron and to export/import data.  It's listed under
"Development" in the modules admin page.

> We're setting up our test server now and when it's ready I will copy the
> database and drupal files to the new server so that content editors can
> begin entering the content without the risk of my code taking them
> down.  I have enough of the site already configured that I would rather
> not set it up from scratch but obviously there will be things that need
> to change (hostname, possibly paths, db connect info etc).

You don't want to transfer any of the cache tables, the sessions table,
users tables, and ...   Does anyone have other table suggestions not to
transfer from testing?

> Once it's set up I'll move forward with the traditional develop, test,
> deploy approach so I don't need a complex setup to synchronize the db or
> anything, and I don't need directions on how to set up a database or
> apache or anything - a one time copy/configure these files, change those
> database entries should be sufficient.

Fingers and toes crossed for good luck. ;)

Earnie -- http://for-my-kids.com/