[support] Eliminating bot-noise

Tibor Liktor liktor at gmail.com
Thu Aug 30 08:44:02 UTC 2007

Hi,

I've got a watchdog problem.

The watchdog log is essential for me to discover bugs and errors, and monitor the site's
performance, and blahblablah - you know that.

But watchdog became quite useless for me, because it is full of 404 errors triggered by Google and
other bots.

Now nearly 90% of the log is crap. It is impossible to dig out any useful info from that. (Not
speaking about the additional server load and database size issues.)

Is there any solution to filter out the tons of messages caused by searchbots?

Do you face with similar issues? How do you handle those?

Best,
Tibor

ps.:

Afais, it is might be caused by two reasons:

1. I use GoogleAds
2. the site had been dramatically changed, and bot searches for the 'old' content

fixme.