[support] Validation Error

Anton anton.list at gmail.com
Mon Dec 3 22:51:44 UTC 2007

On 04/12/2007, Tom Holmes Jr. <tom at tomholmes.net> wrote:
> If no one from Drupal.org can tell me how to fix this ... there is NO
> WAY my employer is gonna use Drupal for an enterprise-wide stable CMS ....

Forgive me for bringing this up, but I noticed you were using Resin as
a web server. Do these problems still happen on Apache with mod_php?

I seems a little 'un-enterprise' to run a complex app like Drupal on a
platform that has received practically no real testing from the Drupal
community and isn't listed on the system requirements
http://drupal.org/requirements. Let alone testing of your chosen
contrib modules on Resins PHP implementation. My experience on
enterprise app deployment is that they are extremely conservative and
won't go anywhere near situations like that.

Resin apparently involves all sorts of (to use PHP language) opcode
caches, differing threading models, and JIT compilation etc. In their
early days PHP opcode caches also caused (and still do to some extent)
weird issues in complex apps that took time to shake out. Just like
fast_cgi also produced some weirdness early on.

Unless these problems also appear on Apache (as the most mature way of
running PHP), these could just be symptoms of a platform combination
that still has some maturing to do - a process all the other platform
combinations are in various stages of going through.

I certainly wouldn't be try running a standard Python or Ruby app on
Jython or JRuby without expecting there might be issues. Not sure why
a Java implementation of PHP would be any different.

--
Cheers
Anton