[support] moving contributed modules to /sites/all

Jason Flatt drupal at oadaeh.net
Thu Dec 6 14:45:49 UTC 2007

On Thursday 06 December 2007 04:56:19 Earnie Boyd wrote:
> Quoting Sean Burlington <sean at burlington.me.uk>:
> >
> > Any tips on how it should be achieved  would be much appreciated.
>
> 0. Put site offline.
> 1. Disable the module before moving it
> 2. Truncate cache* tables
> 3. Truncate sessions table
> 4. Move and enable the module
> 5. Review the variables and system tables for any likelihood issues,
> e.g. the old path.
> 6. Put site online.
>
> And be a good sport and take a backup before proceeding.

While Earnie's 'best practice' is probably the safer more sane way of doing
it, I will say that I have been successful on my development system by simply
moving the modules and then going to the modules page to refresh the system
table. That doesn't mean there won't be a module or two that won't comply.
Simply moving the modules and then expecting things to work correctly isn't
enough.

--
Jason Flatt
http://www.oadaeh.net/