[support] With or without www prefix ...

Jim Li jimmydami at gmail.com
Fri Dec 7 19:10:06 UTC 2007

Hello,

My first question is if there is a rule-of-thumb or
widely-recognized-convention on whether a site should choose to have www
prefix or not. Or is it simple a personal preference of the site owner?

My second question is more specific to my case. I didn't setup any url
redirect, so my site can be accessed by both:
www.example.com and example.com
Now I learned that from SEO point of view, it's better to redirect one of
them to the other. Personally, I prefer the no-www url, i.e. example.com.
However, the site has been up for a couple years, and the two address ends
up with different google page ranks.
www.example.com  PR=7
example.com          PR=3
If I were to redirect all www.example.com links to example.com, will that
hurt my PR, say drag it down from 7 to 3?

I also have gsitemap module installed, is there any setup need to be taken
care of there, for example, submit the site or generate sitemaps with/out
www prefix?

I am a newbie on these SEO and page rank stuff, please advise.

Thanks,
Jim