[support] How to create "index" pages of content

Shai Gluskin shai at content2zero.com
Sun Dec 9 16:28:59 UTC 2007

Hi Errol,

Welcome to Drupal. It's a great CMS/CMF with an awesome community.

Adding the Views module will give you a gazillion different ways to do what
you want to do. There is a bit of a learning curve using the Views set-up
page -- but you'll fall in love, for sure.

Views is at: http://drupal.org/project/views

You create a new view at: http://example.com/admin/build/views/add (replace
"example.com" with your domain). You do that after you've given yourself
permission on the Access control page: http://example.com/admin/user/access.
(If you are working as user/1, the superadmin user created upon
installation, then you don't need to set permissions. Howver, it's
considered a best practice to not do much work while logged in as user/1. I
always create another user for myself and create another role where I give
that role all privileges.)

Using the "Filter" section of the views form you can create multiple
criteria which select what content to present on the page. Content type,
taxonomy, custom fields (if your content type has a custom field), author,
created date, etc. You can also choose how you want the the content
displayed (e.g. full nodes, teasers, or "list" from which you'll select
fields to display).

Three important reminders:

   1. You create the URL alias on the same form that you build your view.
   2. You MUST check the check-box that says "Provide page view". It is
   hidden by default in the "Page" section of the form.
   3. If you are having trouble pulling the desired content, experiment
   with changing the order of the filters you've chosen.

Good luck and write back with questions.

Shai
content2zero <http://content2zero.com>