[support] search: issues with PostgreSQL

Andreas Deininger adeininger at googlemail.com
Wed Dec 19 15:17:52 UTC 2007

Hi,

I'm running drupal 5.5 with PostgreSQL 8.2.5 on a windows box.

I enabled the search module form core and in general, the search
works. However as soon as I enter a string with umlauts into the
search field (e.g. "Bär"), I'm getting a bunch of error messages which
are all more or less like:

warning: pg_query() [function.pg-query]: Query failed: ERROR: invalid
byte sequence for encoding "UTF8": 0xe47220 HINT: This error can also
happen if the byte sequence does not match the encoding expected by
the server, which is controlled by "client_encoding". in
D:\Websites\Stiegele\includes\database.pgsql.inc on line 125.
user warning: query: SELECT src FROM url_alias WHERE dst =
'de/search/node/B�r ' in
D:\Websites\Stiegele\includes\database.pgsql.inc on line 144.

The pg_client_encoding of my PostgreSQL database is set to UTF-8, I
just checked this with "select pg_client_encoding();".
The charset of my web pages is uft-8, too:

Any advice on how to get rid of these errors is appreciated.

Regards
Andreas