[support] new installation of Drupal 5 not finding gd - SOLVED

Victor Kane victorkane at gmail.com
Wed Jan 24 23:07:20 UTC 2007

First of all... you must make sure you have either the php4-gd or the
php5-gd package installed.
On Ubuntu (a Debian derivative) this package is not installed by default
when you install php with apt-get or synaptic, or equivalent. If you don't
install it, the color picker in Drupal 5 garland theme configuration will
not work, for example, and you will have a status report on the
administration page reporting this problem (no gd library... because there
isn't one!).

Once you make sure you have the appropriate gd php package installed, check
out the php.ini file.

I am using Ubuntu 6.06 LTS, with PHP5 and apache2, on my development box,
and towards the end of my /etc/php.ini file, it reads:

extension=gd.so

towards the top, there is an ;extension=gd.so by way of example, this line
should be ignored. Do a good search on gd, and you will find it.

Then to restart apache:

# apache2ctl restart

Hope this helps,

Victor Kane