[support] taxonomy categories: adding keyword messes up url?

Greg Knaddison - GVS Greg at GrowingVentureSolutions.com
Sat Jan 27 15:53:04 UTC 2007

On 1/26/07, will hall <will at theicarusproject.net> wrote:
> hi so when we have a node and add a keyword from the taxonomy module it
> changes the url of the node. then we get very strange urls, and multiple
> keywords just leads to chaos. makes it hard to link to the url if it
> changes.
>
> any suggestions?

It sounds like you are using pathauto with the category as part of
your pattern.  I'm going ot assume that for my response.  If it's not
the case, then we'll need to know what contributed modules you do have
installed to be able to diagnose the problem.

There are several options in the "general settings" of pathauto called
the "update options".  You can set it so that the paths don't change
when a node is updated but that can cause problems on the other side
(e.g. why does the URL contain a term that is not selected for the
node?).

If you want the URL to stay in sync with the category on the node,
then you have several ways to keep old links still working.  One way
is to use a redirect from the old URL to the new one.  The path
redirect module makes that pretty easy to maintain.  This is a manual
process now but hopefully someone will have time to make it one of the
update options for pathauto (there is already an issue for it in the
pathauto issue queue).

Another option (depending on where your links are) is to use the
internal drupal path to the node and let the menu module and/or php
and/or the internal link module to create your links to the current
name of the module on the fly.  That is slightly more expensive for
performance, but only slightly.  This issue has been discussed before
and the result of the discussion was the internal links module, so I
suggest you investigate it and see if it will help your problems.

Regards,
Greg