[support] Complex CCK data type - multiple fields

jp.stacey at torchbox.com jp.stacey at torchbox.com
Mon Jul 9 09:49:46 UTC 2007

Hi,

Thanks for your replies:

Eric Mckenna wrote:
> Can you explain a little more.  I'm having trouble making out what you
> are trying to do.
> Why does adding these fields to your "book" node not work?
> And what do you mean by a "complex CCK data type"?

By "complex" I mean having structured data within each occurrence of the
field. For example, if my books were available in different languages,
then that wouldn't be complex because each CCK field would be just a
single dropdown:

	Available in:
        -------------
	English
	German
	Spanish

Each occurrence of the book's format, however, has five bits of data in
it: paperback/hardback, weight in ounces and three dimensions in
centimetres. So I can't just use one of the out-of-the-box CCK field types
and am not quite sure how to build a field type to cope with it.

I *think* my solution will need to *begin* with (at the very least):

	module_field_settings('database columns')

returning an array of five columns, but I don't know if that's the right
way of going about it or not.

Cheers,
J-P