[support] multiple users with same email address

Greg Knaddison - GVS Greg at GrowingVentureSolutions.com
Tue Jul 17 13:47:55 UTC 2007

On 7/17/07, Earnie Boyd <earnie at users.sourceforge.net> wrote:
> Quoting Michelle Cox <mcox at charter.net>:
> > What I do is I have a catch all forwarder on my domain and then I can make
> > up any email and it forwards to my main email.
> >

> Yes, this is the way to do it.  Forget about those silly games with +
> signs and such.

Aside from adding to your argument's strength, I fail to see anything
silly or gamish about using a + sign more than using catchall.

Catchall has the small drawback of drastically increasing the
dictionary spam to a domain.  I was using catchall and used the system
you describe - now I'm regretting it because I get so much spam from
it.  I far wish I had used the user+extension at example.com system.

> I would even add a DNS entry for dev.sample.com, set up the catch all
> forwarding email for dev.sample.com only and it becomes easy to have as
> many email at dev.sample.com you want.

RFC2606 [1] recommends that example.com be used when you are looking
for an example domain.  Using something else sends traffic and
linkjuice etc. to either live domains (who may not appreciate it) or
in this case to domainers who love the extra traffic.  I don't
begrudge them the traffic, but since I spent some time searching for
these [2] and replacing them in comments and documentation in Drupal
core/contrib I'd appreciate others help in using the appropriate
example for example domains.

[1] http://www.rfc-editor.org/rfc/rfc2606.txt
[2] http://drupal.org/node/98688

Regards,