[support] hierarchy constraint

Cog Rusty cog.rusty at gmail.com
Tue Jul 31 10:36:56 UTC 2007

On 7/31/07, paola.dimaio at gmail.com <paola.dimaio at gmail.com> wrote:
> We are implementing categories/taxonomy
>
> Have created a few parent cats with relevant children and subchildren
> Still working with the content architecture, and experimenting a
> little on how to best balance a simple site structure and the free
> tagging etc.
>
> I have noticed that we can now post stories directly to the child
> category, without any association being made to the parent category.
>
> assume
>
> INTERNET
> -----------CONTENT MANAGEMENT
> -------------------------------------OPEN SOURCE CMS
> --------------------------------------------------------------DRUPAL
>
> I can post a story directly to the 'drupal category' but it will not
> appear (made visible, displayed, associated with)  the parent
> categories.

The current design allows you to display the nodes of the child
categories in their parent category's listing if you want. In your
example.

-- INTERNET (term ID 1)
---- CONTENT MANAGEMENT (term ID 2)
------ OPEN SOURCE CMS (term ID 3)
-------- DRUPAL (term ID 4)

The page "/taxonomy/term/4" displays only nodes of category 4 (DRUPAL)
The page "/taxonomy/term/1/all" displays all nodes of category 1 and
all its children.

If you want all your category listings to include the children and you
don't want to add "/all" every time, there is a module for that:
http://drupal.org/project/taxonomy_forceall