[support] creating menus with "system" destination URLs

Earnie Boyd earnie at users.sourceforge.net
Mon May 7 13:54:13 UTC 2007

Quoting "Neil: esl-lounge.com" <neil at esl-lounge.com>:

> Earnie,
>
> when you say menu item name, do you mean what shows on the front end?

Sorry, menu title.

> When I go to create a new menu item, I have 3 fields to fill in:
>
> - title
> - description
> - path
>
> So what should I avoid? The problem is that I'm using PathAuto so I have
> quite a few URL Aliases flying about.

I've only played in my development arena with PathAuto.  I've chosen to
manually create the paths I need for now.

> profile/1 instead of node/6 (I used nodeprofile module)
> user/5 is default so that shouldn't be causing problems, but is
> /search shouldn't be a URL alias either and is causing problems
> /forum isn't causing problems (meaning I can put sub items under it and they
> show)
>
> So while I accept aliases cause a problem, I can't see any pattern emerging.
> I even tried to use absolute URLs (http://www.mysite.com/search) instead of
> relative without any luck.

Currently on my for-my-kids.com site I have the issue you described
where the menu link doesn't expand to show the sub menus items.  The
menu title is ``product''.  I also have a URL Alias ``product'' that
points to node/178.  If I change either the menu title or the alias all
works as intended.  I've chosen not to worry about the lack of feature
for this particular node because the function of node/178 was to supply
an alternate menu to the submenus.

Earnie -- http://for-my-kids.com