[support] What the *&^% is NABBLE.COM?

Laura Scott laura at pingv.com
Thu May 10 17:35:59 UTC 2007

On May 10, 2007, at 11:01 AM, Bill Moran wrote:

> I find it odd, but I can't see that there's any violation of privacy
> here.  You knew that the drupal lists were publicly archived.  Finding
> out that another site is archiving them as well with props shouldn't
> be that surprising.

I will say this: There are no "props" on a site that rewrites urls to
its own domain and provides no links to the source. (The only d.o
links I can find are embedded within the posts themselves.) It's
scraping. See http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Web_scraping

It may not be a problem for a community like Drupal, with open
licensing etc., but it's still inappropriate internet etiquette, imho.

Also, as there has been so much pushback against balkanizing Drupal
discussion in different areas, I wonder how people here feel about
forked discussions on a 3d party site.

Sites like Nabble are a peeve of mine (and many other folks), but if
the community here doesn't have a problem with scraped, forked
discussions, so be it. Next topic.

Laura