[support] A little clarification about accounts and user roles, please

Cog Rusty cog.rusty at gmail.com
Sun May 13 14:35:39 UTC 2007

User #1 automatically gets all permissions to modify the site in any
way. All other users get their permissions from their assigned
role(s).

In a personal site, using user #1 for day to day jobs does not matter
much, and other users could be allowed to do different things by
assigning roles. However...

There was a case a few months ago where the administrator of a
community site (who was using user id #1) had been replaced and the
new administrator needed to
(a) take over user id #1
(b) revoke the permissions of the old administrator
(c) retain the posts of the old administrator.

As it was, some non-trivial database hacking was needed to move the
posts of the old admin to a new account. Everything would be very easy
if they both used their own user IDs and were assigned/unassigned
roles.

It is true that a different email address has to be used for user #1.
You can always use a forwarding address.