[support] Access control modules do not work . . .

Jason Flatt drupal at oadaeh.net
Tue May 15 20:51:57 UTC 2007

I've got an intranet site up and running that was started w/Drupal
4.7.something.  I installed, at that time, the node privacy byrole module [1]
to control who can access what.  Eventually, I got around to updating the
site to Drupal 5.  Before I started that process, I disabled all contributed
modules, including node privacy byrole.  I was pretty sure I followed all the
steps necessary to disable that module, but I must have missed something,
because now no access control module I've tried will work.

What I've done so far is to install and uninstall Taxonomy Access Control Lite
[2] (several times), Taxonomy Access Control [3] (a few times), Path Access
[4] and one or two others to no avail.  I've followed the advice of the
Persistent 'Welcome to Drupal' for anonymous users [5] Troubleshooting FAQ
node, and I've clicked the Rebuild permissions button (more than once) on
admin/content/node-settings.  I'm assuming something's not right with my
installation, but nothing I've found so far has provided a solution.

I'd really like to install and use the tac_lite module, because I think it
suites my needs just fine, and it's not nearly as complicated or difficult to
use as some of the others.  At this point, however, the priority is to be
able to control who can access what.

Does anyone have any suggestions as to what I can try to fix this problem?

[1] http://drupal.org/project/node_privacy_byrole
[2] http://drupal.org/project/tac_lite
[3] http://drupal.org/project/taxonomy_access
[4] http://drupal.org/project/path_access