[support] Access control modules do not work . . .

Earnie Boyd earnie at users.sourceforge.net
Tue May 15 23:30:56 UTC 2007

Quoting Jason Flatt <drupal at oadaeh.net>:

> I've got an intranet site up and running that was started w/Drupal
> 4.7.something.  I installed, at that time, the node privacy byrole module [1]
> to control who can access what.  Eventually, I got around to updating the
> site to Drupal 5.  Before I started that process, I disabled all contributed
> modules, including node privacy byrole.  I was pretty sure I followed all the
> steps necessary to disable that module, but I must have missed something,
> because now no access control module I've tried will work.

Make sure that the system table, the cache tables and the variables
table is cleaned for the modules you've removed.  Although present with
at least 5.0 not all modules make use of the hook module to delete
itself fully when deactivated.  From that point, if you have
deactivated contributed modules but still maintain the module source in
the modules path it may cause undesired effects because the module file
is loaded just because it exists.  You should remove these unwanted
modules before cleaning the DB tables because they may populate on

Earnie