[support] Newbee: How should I plan this?

A-NO-NE Music madflute at anonemusic.com
Thu May 17 04:40:03 UTC 2007

Larry Garfield / 2007/05/16 / 11:56 PM wrote:

>You're already on the right track, then. :-)  I'm not entirely clear as to
>your data model, though.  Are Discography, Musicians, and Schedule all lists
>of all musicians on file, just showing different data?  Are they
>searchable/sortable?

Thank you so much for your detailed response.  It was a great help for
thinking process, while I realized I should had mentioned an example.

Say, I have my own show the day after tomorrow.  Both vibraphone player
and the bass player are also performing for someone's jazz orchestra
with me on Saturday.  The guitar player for my show Friday have played
for a few of my CDs, while both of us played for someone else's CD as
well as major commercial shows.

See, we the jazz musicians go wherever calls us.  This is why there will
never be a band with steady members.  My original band will never play
again since the drummer has moved to NYC and touring all the time, and
the pianist became a successful Verve record artist.  In other words,
the list of musicians who collaborate/collaborated with me is quite
long.  We have to grab who is best and available for the show date every time.

Example:
I want to have next show announcement promoted on the front page.  I
maybe the leader, or I may be playing for someone's show.  I want to
list the musicians for the show.  You click on one of the names.  The
new node of the musician opens, where all the recordings and the gigs
that musician played with me get listed as well as the hyperlink to the
musician's home page.

Boy, it sounds a lot of work required already.

My current site's, not Drupal but simple PHP partially done by myself,
schedule section is done with 3 MySQL tables, one for the show date, one
for each band I am currently working for, and one for the venues we
often play.  I only need to add the show to the date table, and the band
hyperlink and the venue hyper link are automatically attached.  I was
hoping something similar to this data model to the musician list (tho I
have to plan for this Schedule data model in Drupal 5.1 as well).

Do you think I should just create a site with simple pages first then
improve later?  I am kinda afraid I will never finish Drupal site if I
am stuck like this on each steps.

--

- Hiro

Hiroaki Honshuku, A-NO-NE Music, Boston, MA
<http://a-no-ne.com> <http://anonemusic.com>