[support] Site layout with drupal

Kelly Harding kelly.harding at gmail.com
Thu May 17 12:06:03 UTC 2007

> > I find the menu trim module very helpful here.
> >
> > For instance on my own website (geekgothgrrl.co.uk
> > <http://geekgothgrrl.co.uk>) there are a number of different sections,
> > with menu trim I can remove sections from the menu tree when people
> > navigate it, so it only contains links to relevant content. Works quite
> > well I find.
> >
> > There is a taxonomy-theme module too, that'd allow you to specifiy a
> > different theme by term.
>
>    you have the top/main/primary menu (Kelly, Computing, Classic Cars,
> Old Stuff ...) - is that a manually created menu that points to specific
> nodes? (from source I see it points to specific nodes but how is that
> generated?) How do you make other nodes to be part of the e.g. Kelly
> tree (like Cats, Interests etc.)? Is it a book or?

What I did was I created a new menu (I also created new menus for admin
tasks, but thats a different matter really). Then under admin -> build ->
menu I went to settings and selected the new menu instead of primary links.
Voila navigation menu at top where primary links should be.

I should mention a gotcha with this however. You need to check compatibility
with themes, as not all themes provide enough room for a menu instead of
primary links. I did previously have a seconday menu instead of secondary
links, but theme issues prevented it from working correctly.

You then need the Menu Trim module. Select the menu you wish to trim, trim
it (should be self-explanitary really) and then edit the menu items. you'll
now get a couple of options. The most important being 'trim parent items'.

That is how the 'non-relevant' items in my menu 'dissapear' when a user
browses through the menu tree, reducing clutter.

Hope this helps?

The Menu Trim module can also create blocks, which is what the navigation
menu on the left is. Rather than enabling the block 'Navigation' for
instance, you'd enabled the block 'Navigation (Menu Trim)' and it'll all
work as it should do.

I've done the same on the right hand side for various admin tasks, breaking
them off into sectioned menus of their own, and making the blocks only
visible to administrators (ie me), and use a different administration theme.

Kelly