[support] immediate installation errors

Earnie Boyd earnie at users.sourceforge.net
Wed May 30 20:13:39 UTC 2007

Quoting Tim McGeary <tmm8 at Lehigh.EDU>:

> Thank you for the responses.  First off, I know that 777 is bad.  I was
> just making the point that I tried to set my permissions to fully
> writeable and it still wasn't working.
>
> I made the error_reporting change in the php.ini file.  This is the
> first app I'm installing, and I don't expect the others to need E_ALL.
>
> So I made only the ./sites/default/settings.php with permission 777 and
> the rest at 755, and I am still getting the error:
>
> Drupal database setup
> The following error must be resolved before you can continue the
> installation process:
> The Drupal installer requires write permissions to
> ./sites/default/settings.php during the installation process.
>
> What else should I check?

I've seen this before.  You must have modified the settings.php file to
include the database information by hand.  I forget what I did but try
specifying the install.php manually in the URI.  E.G.
mysite.org/install.php

If that doesn't work, install the pristine file from the tarball and
enter the DB information in the web form.

Earnie