[support] Taxonomy help

Tony Yarusso tonyyarusso at gmail.com
Thu Nov 8 21:11:06 UTC 2007

(I seem to have run into trouble with my juggling of multiple e-mail
accounts; I apologize if somehow this ends up on the list twice, but I
don't think it went through before.)

All right, so I'm just starting out with Drupal, so I don't quite know
how things work yet, and would appreciate some pointers about how to
structure my site.  (Excuse the mis-use of terminology that will surely
follow.)  I'd like to have a small number of pre-defined broad
categories (say, Land, Water, and Air), and then parallel to that a
hierarchical setup of terms like this:

Animals{Vertebrates[Mammals, Amphibians, Reptiles],
Invertebrates[Worms<Earthworms, Tapeworms>, Sponges, Snails]}

Plants{Bushes, Trees[Oak, Pine<Red Pine, White Pine>, Cedar], Green
Algae, Sea grasses}

Fungi{Mushrooms[Portabello, Shiitake], Yeasts, Eurotium herbariorum}

Anyway, you get the idea.  There will be a variety of categories here,
and each of them can have a number of children, which in turn can have
children, etc.  This set of terms should be able to be created on the
fly by the site's users, since clearly I'm not going to be able to
pre-create something like that.  They should be able to either create
just one low-level tag (like Earthworms in the example), or it and all
of the parents necessary to properly categorize it.  (Additionally, they
may need to create parents and move tags under it, in case another user
creates Earthworms standalone before its parents exist and don't bother
to make them.)

However, the first set will be pre-defined.  Only administrators will
add to the list of Land, Water, and Air.

As you may have noticed, lowest-level items in the hierarchical set will
usually fall within only one of the broad groups (ie, Cedar would only
be within Land), and this will often also be true of their parents, but
it should be possible when necessary to put items or parents in multiple
groups for the few occasions when this makes sense.

Once this is all done, people should be able to view content by any
arrangement of these (ie, a page that lists all Water organisms, a page
that lists all Trees, and a page that lists all Vertebrates that life in
Water), and "drill down" through the hierarchical parts or go to the
parent of the current list, either retaining a group limiter or removing
it to view all habitat types.

Hopefully someone was able to follow that - any ideas on what I would
need to do/use to accomplish that?

 - Tony