[support] Incompatible environment

Tom Holmes Jr. tom at tomholmes.net
Wed Nov 28 20:52:07 UTC 2007

Yep ... I am sure this is an old issue and not critical since it doesn't
involve Drupal.
But, I am a Java/Web-App guy and that's what I normally do ... so PHP is
new to me.
I realize that Apache is recommended with PHP 4.x or 5.x and MySQL 4.x
or 5.x.

So, I am using Resin 3.1.3 (latest) that uses Quercus as the Java
implementation of PHP, and I am trying to install Drupal 5.3.
The Resin virtual-host is all configured so I do get to the Drupal
web-site .... the error I get is as follows:

"The PCRE library in your PHP installation is outdated. This will cause
problems when handling Unicode text.
If you are running PHP 4.3.3 or higher, make sure you are using the PCRE
library supplied by PHP.
Please refer to the PHP PCRE documentation <http://www.php.net/pcre> for
more information. (Currently using Unicode library Error)"

This is happening on two systems:
CentOS (RHEL4) and "rpm -q pcre" gives me:   pcre-4.5-3.2.RHEL4
OpenSuse 10.2 and "rpm -q pcre" gives me:   pcre-6.7-23

Any help would be much appreciated ... in the meantime I will keep
digging on Google for the answer!

Thanks for any help you can provide!

Tom