[support] SLOW LOADING

Larry Garfield larry at garfieldtech.com
Mon Oct 15 03:55:50 UTC 2007

First off, make sure you're running with page caching enabled.  Cached pages
are drastically faster than non-cached pages.  Unfortunately they only work
for anonymous users.

If you're running a dedicated server, install an opcode cache.  That will have
a huge impact on any PHP application, but particularly to large ones like
Drupal that have a lot of code.

After that, you get into more detailed benchmarking.  Try using the devel
module to see what queries are being run, and if any of them are especially
slow.  After analyzing the queries, you may find that adding an index or
three to the database could get you a nice performance boost.

If you're using Views, I always recommend using a List or Table view rather
than Full or Teaser view.  Full and Teaser views run a full node_load() on
each node returned, and each node_load() can be anywhere from 3 to 10 queries
depending on what you have installed.  List and Table views are always two
queries: A data query and a count query.

And of course, try upgrading. :-)  Most modules get faster over time rather
than slower, and Drupal 5 is faster for anonymous users than 4.7.  Once on
Drupal 5, make sure you use the CSS compressor.  I've been able to cut a
page's load time in half just by switching on the CSS compressor.  Drupal 6
will include a Javascript compressor as well for the same reason.

Cheers.

--
Larry Garfield			AIM: LOLG42
larry at garfieldtech.com		ICQ: 6817012