[support] Upgrade to Drupal 5?

Larry Garfield larry at garfieldtech.com
Mon Oct 15 21:28:56 UTC 2007

Drupal 6.0 is in beta1 state right now, with beta2 expected "Real Soon Now".  A final release should probably be out before the end of the year, but no guarantees; the more people help fix bugs, the sooner it will be. :-)  New major releases come out roughly every 9-12 months, but it's not on a fixed schedule.

The overall outline for migrating is fairly simple; any well-behaved module (which includes all of core) will upgrade your data for you so that you don't lose anything.

0. Backup. :-)

1. Make sure all of the modules and themes you use are upgraded.

2. Set up your new Drupal 5/6/whatever install.  Put the new modules and themes in it.

3. Copy your old files directory to the new install, and point the new install at your database.

4. Run the update.php script to migrate all of your data.

5. Polish as needed.

The catch is that steps 1 and 5 could be trivial, or could be extensive.  It depends on what modules you use, how complex your theme is, and if you inadvertently coded yourself into a corner somewhere.  I know in my case, I took the opportunity during a 4.7->5 upgrade of a site to heavily refactor portions of the architecture (step 5).  That took a while, but is for the most part an optional step.

If you're only using stock modules and they're all upgraded (at this point pretty much anything that is going to be upgraded for Drupal 5 already has been), then it should be a fairly painless process.

Cheers.

--Larry Garfield