[support] How portable are drupal web sites?

Roy Smith roy at panix.com
Fri Oct 19 18:01:23 UTC 2007

As an old-time unix hacker, I know my way around the inside of a web
server pretty well, but right now I'm in "I want a tool not a hobby"
mode and need to find a web hosting service for a club I belong to.
There seem to be plenty of places out there offering amazing amounts
disk/bandwidth/etc for amazingly low prices, and it's not clear how
to determine which are fly-by-night and which are reliable.

So, the question is, if I go with a hosting service and later decide
to switch to a different provider, how hard is it to pick up my
drupal-based site and move it to another host?  Is it as simple as
finding another place that offers LAMP services, dumping the
database, and restoring it onto the new server?  And, of course,
changing the DNS registration.

roy at panix.com