[support] How portable are drupal web sites?

Larry Garfield larry at garfieldtech.com
Sat Oct 20 06:19:23 UTC 2007

1) Disable clean URLs, clear the cache, set logs to a short lifetime, then run
cron to clear old ones.  (All but the first one there is just to reduce the
size of the database dump.

2) mysqldump oldserver > mydatabase.sql

3) mysql newserver < mydatabase.sql

4) Copy entire Drupal directory from old server to new server, being careful
to get the .htaccess file with it.

5) Edit settings.php to specify the new database login info.

6) Enable Clean URLs again.

7) There is no step 7. :-)

(I recommend disabling clean URLs in case there's an issue on the new server.
You don't want all your links to be broken.)

Really, Drupal is an extremely portable system.  I do the above process to
move from development servers to live servers on a regular basis.  98% of the
time is spent waiting for files to copy. :-)

--
Larry Garfield			AIM: LOLG42
larry at garfieldtech.com		ICQ: 6817012

Jefferson