[support] Development Site -- Keep the Public Out

Shai Gluskin shai at content2zero.com
Sun Oct 28 16:01:26 UTC 2007

So I'm working with an organization on a site rebuild. I have a test site
set up on my domain.

My problem is that the "Welcome to your New Drupal Site" page is showing up
on the home page for anonymous users.

I've installed the Content Access module (
http://drupal.org/project/content_access) to make it so that the staff and I
can all work on the site and the content won't be available to the public
till we launch (and change the access settings).

I created a block with permissions set to "anonymous" and display set to
"only on <front>"; it displays in the center of the page (thanks to LiteJazz
Theme) telling anonymous folks that this is a development page, with a link
to the old/live site.

When I (role=webmaster) or staff (role=staff) log in, everything is fine,
just like I want it -- the block disappears and all the content appears.

I just want the "Welcome to your New Drupal Site" to disappear for anonymous
users.

I tried making the "You are on a test site" a node instead of a block. That
makes the "Welcome to your New Drupal Site" dissappear for anonymous users,
but the "You are on a development site" node, continues to appear after
staff or I have logged in. I've tried in Content Access to just check
"anonymous" -- but it seems that module doesn't work the same way as the
blocks code does.

Is this a bug in the Content Access module?

Any other ideas on how I can get what I want?

Thanks,

Shai