[support] A beginner's questions

Jason Flatt drupal at oadaeh.net
Fri Sep 7 13:53:55 UTC 2007

On Friday 07 September 2007 05:13:09 Kovács István wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I'd like to set up a VPS hosting two sites (in two different domains),
> on top of Ubuntu (Debian) Linux. I'd like to know the following:
> - how do I configure the two sites, sharing a single Drupal
> installation, to use different configuration and databases? My web
> server is Apache;

 * Install Drupal one time into the path of your choosing.
 * Point Apache's configuration for both domains to the same Drupal
installation.
 * Create a database for each domain. (You don't need to fill them, just
create them.)
 * Create a directory in the sites directory of your Drupal installation for
each domain (or copy the "default" directory). (For example, for the domain
http://www.example.com, create a directory named example.com.)
 * Copy and modify the settings.php file to each directory for the databases
you created.
 * Open a browser and go to each domain to start the install (you may have to
go to http://www.example.com/install.php for the second domain).

You can get more detailed information from the included INSTALL.txt file,
which is also located here: http://drupal.org/node/260. The relevant part is
down past "5. CRON TASKS" and past "DRUPAL ADMINISTRATION" in a section
titled "MULTISITE CONFIGURATION".

> - is it possible to theme different parts of the same site
> differently? E.g. my wife would probably prefer different colours for
> her blog than I would for mine :-)

If you are referring to the two different domains, then most definitely yes.
If you are referring to two different blogs on the same domain, then you'll
probably want to read http://drupal.org/phptemplate and the following
handbook pages.

--
Jason Flatt