[support] linking the categories

paola.dimaio at gmail.com paola.dimaio at gmail.com
Sat Sep 8 12:44:29 UTC 2007

Okay, my latest question about to ensure 'uniqueness of values' was unanswered
This could be because it was (again) an unclear question (apologies if
thats the case)
Or because  nobody knows the answer.
This is a case of having hit a limitation of the current module, or
simply not knowing how to use it

Let me try again. same module (taxonomy)  I need to find out a clever
way to structure our 'categories' and 'tags' in a way that they can be
be combined

I think this can be done by creating a hierarchy of vocabularies/categories

so what I wonder is
can I make a category become the parent or child of another category?
at the moment I dont see this option (I can see that I can make a term
become the child or parent of another term, but what I need is a group
of terms to be the parent of another group of terms)

The reason why I need this, its because the drop down menus at the
moment are toooo long. For each term, I have say 10 child terms, which
in turn have 10 child terms so its very difficult to select the right
one(s) cause one gets lost before finding the right category
Plus I cannot selectively make one term mandatory, say a parent, and
the children optional (for those who may want to have more granular
keywords)

So one way of doing that (perhaps) would be for each parent term have a new
'category', so that each parent term can be made mandatory (hence
creating a superstructure) and then making one or more children
optional, and then linking a freeflowing tags to that.
Has someone implemented a nice complex hierarchy using taxonomy module
and has advice ?

thanks

--
Paola Di Maio