[support] Weird mysql error when creating new forum

Cog Rusty cog.rusty at gmail.com
Sat Apr 26 05:43:43 UTC 2008

On Sat, Apr 26, 2008 at 8:15 AM, Cog Rusty <cog.rusty at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Fri, Apr 25, 2008 at 8:19 AM, Shai Gluskin <shai at content2zero.com> wrote:
>  > Drupallers,
>  >
>  > When trying to create a new forum, I get this error:
>  >
>  > > user warning: Duplicate entry '10' for key 1 query: INSERT INTO term_data
>  > (tid, name, description, vid, weight) VALUES (10, 'Sellers Forum', '', 4, 0)
>  > in /home/cmp/public_html/includes/database.mysql.inc on line 172.
>  >
>  > Why is  Drupal trying to run a query to insert info data into the term_data
>  > table?
>
>  Because forums are terms in the taxonomy vocabulary "Forums". And for
>  some reason, Drupal attempted to create a term with ID=10 while there
>  was already a term with this ID, instead of taking the next available
>  ID. There could be many reasons. It could happen in a bizarre database
>  setup or in a multisite with some shared and some separate tables in
>  some cases.

A follow-up to add: I am guessing that you are running Drupal 5 or
earlier, because this is very unlikely to happen in Drupal 6. If so,
using phpMyAdmin go to the "sequences" table, select "Browse", and
find the row "term_data_tid". If you see an ID=9 in that row, change
it to 10. So the next term to be created will be 11 and you are
unblocked.