[support] Book.module: Different title and menu entry?

Agon S. Buchholz asb at kefk.net
Sat Apr 26 11:35:48 UTC 2008

Hi,

I need to create different titles (descriptive) and menu entries (short)
for nodes of the content type "Book"; if possible, I'd love to have a
description for the node, additionally (to be added to book outlines,
explanining what this "chapter" is about).

Basically, I would need exactly the functionality of the Menu system
(hierarchical structuring, menu title, different node title,
description), combined with the features of the the book module.
Example: Catalog of CMS software;

* Book node title: "The Content Management Framework Drupal"
* Book menu entry: "Drupal"
* Book node description: "This Chapter explains the concepts and
features of the FLOSS framework Drupal and it's us as a Web Content
Management System"

** Book sub node title: "Features of the Content Management Framework
Drupal"
** Book sub menu entry: "Features"

** Book sub node title: "System Requirements for installing the Content
Management Framework Drupal"
** Book sub menu entry: "Requirements"

** Book sub node title: "License for the Content Management Framework
Drupal"
** Book sub menu entry: "License" [...]

That should result in the following book menu structure:

* Drupal
** Features
** Requirements
** License
** ...

Opposed to that, the book outline should read something like:

* The Content Management Framework Drupal - This Chapter explains the
concepts and features of the FLOSS framework Drupal and it's us as a Web
Content Management System
** Features of the Content Management Framework Drupal
** System Requirements for installing the Content Management Framework
Drupal
** License for the Content Management Framework Drupal

I can not use the menu system for this, since I need (a) context
sensitive sidebars with navigational elements, (b) table of contents
nodes that give an overview about the nodes-to-follow that should be
created automatically; (c) add book page functionality for users that
don't have access to work with the menu system; as far as I know, the
menu system does not provide these features. Also, I noticed that the
management of large menu trees for the site's content tends to make
administration of the "normal" menus very slow.

Currently, I'm getting more and more nodes with non-descriptive short
titles like "overview", "features", "literature" that become useless in
Search results and similar functions.

Is this somehow possible, e.g. with a contributed module or some CCK
magic, or can Drupal simply not do this (yet)?

Thanks a lot, -asb