[support] I18n questions and troubles

Pierre <pounard> Rineau pounard at processus.org
Mon Apr 28 08:16:59 UTC 2008

Hello,

I have some basic questions about i18n module, hard to explain, so there
is a basic use case :

I have two languages, french (fr) and spanish (es);
I have to translate every node to both language (so I use the
"translations" tab to create and link nodes from both languages),;

I have only one big menu, which is translation enabled (so one entry for
both language, but translated);

Let's say I have a french node: "node/XX";
and its translation in spanish: "node/YY".

The question is, when I go to path "fr/node/XX", my french node is
displayed, but when I switch to spanish, cliking the spanish language
switch link, my new path is "es/node/XX", does the i18n module
automatically switch the displayed node to "node/YY", or does I always
have to manually switch the path to "es/node/YY" ?

The problem behind this is my menu is the same in french and spanish, so
when I click on a spanish entry from the menu, the path will be the
french node's path, but prefixed with "es/", but my french node is
always displayed, which is not what I want...

Thanks in advance for help.