[support] I18n questions and troubles

Ivan Sergio Borgonovo mail at webthatworks.it
Mon Apr 28 10:08:38 UTC 2008

On Mon, 28 Apr 2008 11:35:11 +0200
"Pierre <pounard> Rineau" <pounard at processus.org> wrote:

> I will be glad to ear every other simple solution you have :)

I think that translation require a cost and responsibility.

Nodes provide a bridge between translations.
You have tools to have similar bridges for menus.
Generally I think that planning menus/taxonomies requires more
editorial consciousness compared to writing or translating articles.
So generally this cost fall down on me ;)

Writing an article and writing a translation is not that different
than writing a menu and it's corresponding translation.

In my use case menus path are generally in the range of 100 and
articles in the range of thousands.
All this stuff about clean urls is done for SEO and helping people
remember urls I think. Once you've thousands articles, the weight of
few menu path for SEO may be negligible.
I do wonder if really people will remember urls once they start to be
too much complex... if you've 100 menu entries that point to clearly
identifiable categories it may be worth to translate them. If they
start to be too complex in terms of concept and length translating
the path may not be worth the effort.

I think it is just a matter of evaluating the ROI and how and if
you're willing to delegate to editors menu editing and taxonomies too.

--
Ivan Sergio Borgonovo
http://www.webthatworks.it