[support] My Week for Cron Problems -- this time "failure to open

Cog Rusty cog.rusty at gmail.com
Tue Apr 29 15:57:18 UTC 2008

On Tue, Apr 29, 2008 at 7:32 AM, Shai Gluskin <shai at content2zero.com> wrote:
> Hi Cog,
>
> Thanks for the reply. First let me say that the following command is now
> working fine on the account I was having trouble with:
>
> 15 * * * * curl --silent --compressed http://example.com/cron.php >
> /dev/null 2>&1
>
> Here are two commands that I tried previously. The first command is the one
> that is working on other accounts. The second one was recommended by my VPS
> host tech support, but it didn't work either on the troubled account.
>
> 15 * * * * /usr/bin/php -q /home/<account_name>/public_html/cron.php
>
> 15 * * * * /usr/local/bin/php -q /home/<account_name>/public_html/cron.php
>
> I'm still curious. Of course it is less urgent now that curl is working for
> me. And based on the handbook page that you sent me to, the curl way seems
> to be more of a best practice.
>
> Shai

Hmm... so the question now is why /usr/bin/php -q
/home/[blah]/cron.php didn't give you a path error "Failed opening
'./includes/bootstrap.inc" etc on the other server but only on this
one.

I don't really know, maybe they have something which automatically
changes php's working directory to the scipt's directory... but this
is only a guess. Maybe you could write a small test script printing
the working directory to test this hypothesis.