[support] Creating Simplest Instructions for Updating Single-Site D5 Site -- "delete sites directory"

Tony Yarusso tonyyarusso at gmail.com
Mon Feb 4 01:59:16 UTC 2008

What I've been doing lately is having the directory structure on the web
host include version numbers.  ie, my current docroot is drupal-5.7/
(exactly as the result of untarring gives you).  When a new release comes
out (after backing up the DB), I can just copy sites/ in and visit
upgrade.php if necessary, without the harrowing experience of actually
overwriting existing files or needing to worry about not deleting files that
are no longer used.  This way I just have to change the pointer in my web
site's configuration to point to the new directory (either with DocumentRoot
in apache or whatever panel interface your host gives you), and if things go
badly, you can just switch it back and re-implement the database from the
backup.  If you want to be extra careful, you can configure the old site to
actually use a backup of the database ahead of the initial switch, such that
you can switch back without even the downtime of having to restore the
database manually afterwards.

--
Tony Yarusso
http://tonyyarusso.com/