[support] Document Management in drupal

Walter Garcia-Fontes walter.garcia at upf.edu
Tue Feb 5 09:39:01 UTC 2008

* David Njuki [05/02/08 08:38]:
>    am working on a corporate intranet and  drupal has proved to be
>    very useful  so  far,  i have been looking at the diffeent
>    modules available but i cant  seem to find one that will handle
>    documents easily ( upload, view and share  word, PDF Excel
>    etc,  on different user roles, just like [1]KnowledgeTree )
>    My question is, does such a module exist? and if not, is there a way to
>    intergrate KnowledgeTree into drupal such that a user has to sign in only
>    once?

I made some research on this myself a couple of months ago, and ended
up integrating KT into Drupal. There is a module for that, (I think it
is called kt) and I don't know if it has had more development since
then, it worked but it was quite simple. In any case I had to register
users in KT to make it work (the password wouldn't matter, but if the
users didn't exist in KT the Drupal authentification wouldn't
work).

I have abbandoned the idea of using KT since then, since it makes it
harder to keep drupal updated. Another possibility is to use the "web
file manager" module, but all users have to be trusted users since
they get access to all the file system. I haven't started setting a
document management system with this, but I think it may be possible
if some sort of permissions for different roles can be set.

If you find a satifactory solution please share it.

--
Walter Garcia-Fontes
Barcelona