[support] Migrate web site using .asp into Drupal

Chris Johnson cxjohnson at gmail.com
Mon Feb 11 09:48:03 UTC 2008

Deb,

Migration does not look too hard.  You could probably copy/paste the
content into a Drupal site in a few hours.  You will probably spend
more time making the theme (appearance / style) of the new Drupal site
look the way you want, than in actually importing the content of your
existing pages.  It would probably make sense to spend more time
planning how you might take advantage of Drupal's features in the
future than it would to import the content, too.

I suggest you install Drupal and spend a little time getting familiar
with its basics first.  Then think about how you would fit your
existing site into the more dynamic and flexible capabilities of
Drupal.  If at any point, you have questions about how various things
work in Drupal, or what the potential capabilities are, come back
here, or the Drupal forums, and ask questions.

If you are the kind of person who finds books to be particularly
useful, I would recommend "Building Online Communities with Drupal,
phpBB and WordPress" by Robert Douglass, Mike Little and Jared Smith
specifically for general ideas about what Drupal can do.  Because the
book is from 2006, it was written for Drupal 4.7, and is therefore
somewhat dated.  In particular, the administrative interface has
changed dramatically since then in the current release (Drupal 5) and
the very soon to be released version, Drupal 6.

There may be more up to date books which may be applicable, and if so,
perhaps someone will jump in and suggest one.

There is a pretty strong Drupal community in the Twin Cities, so you
might be interested in getting connected with them for help and ideas,
as well.  Many of them are members of the Twin Cities PHP users group
(TCPHP):  http://tcphp.org/

Good luck.

..chris