[support] joining taxonomy terms?

Morten Holmstrup morten at holmstrups.dk
Thu Feb 14 15:41:45 UTC 2008

Hi,

I have a looong list of taxonomy terms for a website I'm building for a
client.

The taxonomy is based on some default hierarchial  categories containing
a number and a corresponding term. I can't change this, as they are
decided elsewhere.

They go sort of like this:

03 term
-- 00.00.01 subterm
----00.00.00.05 subsubterm
04 term

The trouble I'm having is with the numbers.
I want to separate the numbers so that an admin can just type in the
number and get the corresponding term. I can't use the drupal generated
unique id's for the terms, so how do I split a term into two terms and
keep them together?

Can I somehow split a term into two fields?
Or do I have to use related terms in some way?
Or two separate vocabularies?

My head is hurting - please help :)
Morten