[support] Referencing images / multimedia content

John Fletcher fletchnet at internode.net.au
Thu Feb 21 06:08:02 UTC 2008

Hi,

I'm trying to figure out how to reference images and other multimedia
content from a page in Drupal.

I'm building a large multi-language site in Drupal 6 (about 7 languages,
will expand in future).  It's a business-style site rather than a
community-style one, so the pages are reasonably static and will generally
be originally implemented by web designers.  Non-technical users will
complete translations of pages and also small updates, fix typos etc.

How do I reference pictures that are related to a certain page (as opposed
to part of the theme)?  I understand I should store them in
sites/sitename/files so I could reference them with
src="sites/sitename/files/pic.jpeg", but it would make more sense to
reference them using the PHP function file_directory_path().  However, if I
embed PHP code into the page then the non-technical users are not able to
edit the page unless I allow them to save PHP code.  Does this all make
sense?  Am I working in the right direction?  What should I do?

Thanks,

John