[support] Adding to the CSS of a theme?

Roy Smith roy at panix.com
Sat Feb 23 19:44:03 UTC 2008

How do you augment the CSS style sheet of a theme?

My first experiments with modifying a theme (I stated with sky) were
to just edit the style.css file in the theme directory.  That worked,
but is obviously not very maintainable.  I'm redoing my site and want
to be able to leave the original style.css virgin and just add my
stuff in another style sheet (which is, after all, the whole idea of
CSS).

For example, I want to add:

img.keyline {
   border: 1px solid black;
   padding: 0;
}

to an existing theme.  Where do I put that?  I tried to follow the
directions in http://drupal.org/node/11774, namely where it says:

"if you only want to alter the CSS of a theme, then just place a new
style.css file in a subdirectory of the theme: it will appear as a
new theme in Drupal."

So, I made a themes/sky/my-sky directory, and put just that little
bit of CSS in a "style.css" file there.  Sure enough, "my-sky" showed
up as a style I could select in the /admin/build/themes page.  When I
selected it, however, it looked like what I put there *replaced* the
style.css from sky, rather than adding to it.

What clue am I missing?

roy at panix.com