[support] Blogs: URL and Taxonomy questions

Neil: esl-lounge.com neil at esl-lounge.com
Sun Feb 24 11:44:55 UTC 2008

thanks for the answer Earnie.

> Yes it is possible.  You need to turn on the path module and install
> the pathauto [1] module.  Depending on how you setup pathauto for the
> taxonomy terms you should be able to have what you want.

Pathauto authors themselves suggest using views/args to achieve this. There
used to be something called index aliases in PA but it's been deprecated.

Another query about blog URLs: isn't it bad practice to set up blog URLs to
use vocab terms?

we use free tagging so users can append anything from 1-10 tags to each blog
entry. Pathauto takes the first one and uses it in the URL so we may have a
blog entry at:

blog/385/my-first-job (using blog/[nid]/[term-raw] as our path)

but then Johnny User goes in and alters either the tags (quite likely) or
the order of them (not very likely) and suddenly the URL changes and
potentially many hardcoded links across the site, on our forum, etc, to that
blog entry die a horrible death. It would be the same if we used the title
of the blog in the URL.

How do people cope with their users changing tags/titles if they use them in
URL paths? Isn't it a total unmanageable nightmare?

Neil