[support] Drupal for University use

Zohar Stolar z.stolar at gmail.com
Tue Jan 8 21:10:27 UTC 2008

I don't have experience with this very implementation, but just adding
my 2 cents:
Consider presenting Drupal's multisite feature, which gives you the
possibility to have multiple sites with one code base.
This is very useful in cases where you need many sites with similar
configuration, but still you want minimal maintenance costs.

However similar, and sharing one set of modules, you can still initiate
the sites with completely different configuration, using Drupal's
installation profiles.
This way you can create new sites, destined for various tasks, as you
mentioned: Departmental, personal, ad-hoc research teams etc.

Performance is obviously an issue, and will always be, but I found that
using Drupal's internal caching system, together with server side
optimization, and good hardware, can render any Drupal site fast enough.

I think you can find some more accurate statistics and benchmarking in
Dries blog.