[support] mkdir permissions issue

Tom Holmes Jr. tom at tomholmes.net
Thu Jan 10 14:27:50 UTC 2008

I think we have a little misunderstanding, and that is my fault.

There are three areas where I dealt with permissions:
1) The old web-site to be imported ... this directory and files need at
least to be readable.
This directory I changed to 0777 and it didn't solve my problem.

2) The files/imported directory ... of course we need permission to
create directories and files here.
I could do this (create directories and files) as root or as another user.
That's why I was confused.  I could create directories as either a user,
or as root ... but PHP couldn't.
This directory I changed to 0777 and it didn't solve my problem.

3) In the sites/all/modules/importhtml  .... I unzipped the modules into
the right place.
I even changed the user/group so it would be the same as the rest of the
site.
I didn't even bother to check the permissions of the individual files
... I left them as they were unzipped.
Even as root .... if a file is set to be not executable ... not even
root can run it.
So, I when to all the files in this module and  made them executable ...
that finally solved the problem.

For future sake ... on a linux system ... when I unzip a module and
change the user/grp ...
is 0660 the usual permissions to set?

Thanks!
                                    Tom