[support] Remove user: do not delete user

Earnie Boyd earnie at users.sourceforge.net
Tue Jan 15 23:26:47 UTC 2008

Quoting Davide Michel 'ZioBudda' Morelli <michel at ziobudda.net>:

> Hi all. When a user want to delete from my site , for an italian privacy
> law (in words more and more simple), I can not delete him/her data from
> my DB but I can only delete his personal data (rewrite it with REMOVED
> is enough), but not the email because the police can ask me who write a
> comment or a node for some month after him/her delete him/her account.
> (The italian policy law is more and more "articulate").
>
> I know that there is a hook_user() but how can I stop Drupal from
> deleting my user ?  And I don't want the drupal change the uid
> associated to the nodes that the users has write, too.

Interesting problem.  You need a module to trap the Delete of the user
and change it to a block_user.  I don't know if a module exists already
but I might even argue that a user delete should only flag the user
record deleted anyway.  Perhaps an enhancement for D7 to add a deleted
flag in timestamp format to allow for proper administration of the user
data.

Earnie -- http://for-my-kids.com/
-- http://give-me-an-offer.com/