[support] multiple site, on database confusion

Xavier Bestel xavier.bestel at free.fr
Sun Jan 20 09:55:30 UTC 2008

On dim, 2008-01-20 at 00:40 -0800, will hall wrote:
> hi everyone,
>
> i have one site running drupal 5.1 and publishing a podcast through the
> Views module.
>
> i want to set up a different drupal site on another domain. i want to be
> able to show the same view with the same podcast nodes.
>
> the new site will be focused on the podcast and have little or no
> content other than the View of the latest podcasts, maybe a category
> browser, and commenting. it will of course have a distinct template.
>
> i have been reading the handbook and other sources on running multiple
> sites off the same database. this seems to be the right direction.
> however, i'm confused about how to make it all work.

I have done something like that: a main site with much content, and
another site with only a few static pages and a part of the main site's
content.
I created a sites/mynewsite.com directory, and added a new settings.php
file in which I modified a few variables at the end to have a new name,
a new theme and a new frontpage for the site. I then arranged blocks for
this theme to display a new menu, and changed the theme to not display
the primary and seconday links.
And voilà ! But I'm not an Drupal expert, so there may be a better way
to do this.

	Xav