[support] Applying drupal access control to PDF documents.

Roy Smith roy at panix.com
Sun Jan 27 16:27:56 UTC 2008

I've been using the Nodeaccess (5.x-1.x-dev) module to control access
to a "members only" section of my web site.  I want to put some PDF
documents on the site, which will be subject to the same access
control, but I don't see any way to do this.

I can upload the PDFs to the files directory, and link to them from a
protected page, but that doesn't really protect the PDFs.  Anybody
who could guess a URL would have unlimited access.  I know I can
add .htaccess protection at the apache level to the PDF's, but that
means people need to authenticate twice (once to drupal, again to
apache).  And, managing two sets of accounts would be a nightmare.

Is there some way to embed a PDF directly as a drupal node, so I can
control access to it via the same mechanism as the rest of the site?

roy at panix.com