[support] Issues with initializing Variables on startup..

Earnie Boyd earnie at users.sourceforge.net
Wed Jan 30 14:17:21 UTC 2008

Quoting Scott Matthews <smatthews at optaros.com>:

> I am on my first project using drupal and want to submit this as a
> bug but needed to get clarification of the usage and if it already is
>  a bug.  I'm not saying I'd rather hear from someone other than you,
> I'm just getting the impression that you, David, are not listening to
>  the issue I'm stating and are simply shooting down my explanations.
>
> I do not have to set this in the database but in trying to find a way
>  to initialize this value that is one of the approaches I attempted.
>
> Your last scenario of a multi site hosting (or in our case
> deployment:  QA, Dev, Production) is what I am attempting to do.  You
>  suggest using Settings.php and I'm saying, as well as being
> acknowledged by one other person on the list, that the value is
> getting overridden when we do conf_init.  My frustration is not that
> my suggestion is not getting accepted as gospel, it's that my queries
>  are getting shot down with suggestions that things are working as
> they should without any other investigation.
>
> If this is not the forum for actually getting support questions
> answered, then I will just submit bugs and hope they have not been
> entered.
>

> On Jan 29, 2008, at 5:01 PM, Metzler, David wrote:

David, I have to agree with Scott; you're not listening.  Setting $conf
is documented in the default.settings.php file as *the* way to override
some variables.  The issue Scott is having in doing this was created by
a patch [1][2] during the Drupal 5 coding phase[3][4] which removed
$conf from the global declarations.

Scott, please open a bug report issue and attach a patch simply adding
$conf to the global declarations of conf_init.  The issue continues
with Drupal 6 as well[5] so you'll need a patch for the Drupal 5
branch, the current Drupal 6 RC branch and HEAD.  If you need help,
ping me off list.

[1] http://drupal.org/node/56357#comment-391611
[2]
http://cvs.drupal.org/viewvc.py/drupal/drupal/includes/bootstrap.inc?r1=1.145.2.3&r2=1.145.2.4