[support] upgrading to 5.8. One question.

Armin Medosch armin at easynet.co.uk
Thu Jul 10 23:28:41 UTC 2008

On Thu, 2008-07-10 at 21:04 +0200, Fred Jones wrote:
> > In D5 at least disabling modules does not remove tables.  You have to
> > use the Uninstall function for that and the module has to provide the
> > hook.
>
> Disabling modules anyhow can certainly lose data. Even without
> uninstalling. I disabled the Ads module on a site once, I believe, and
> data was lost which we were forced to restore (what we could) from
> backups.

I had a similar experience. tables had to be restored by hand in mysql.
the key is to make a backup of the database and all the important files
in the drupal directory in the webroot path, then make the upgrade on a
testsite, and then, if everything works, copy it back to the working
site. I must add that I am not an authoritative voice, just a simple
user, but thats how it worked for me last time after having gone through
a botched upgrade. If you create a test site for the upgrade process
first, make the upgrade work there, you can do it without the disabling
of modules which can be tricky. once it works on the test site you can
copy the whole thing back. probably there are other ways, but it worked
for me without the disabling business

good luck
armin